I may be alone in this, but I love waking up and cooking in the morning (can I get a hell yes!? No? Fair.) It feels good to start my day in the kitchen with healthy, real foods. Since I wake up around 5am, I usually need to eat by 9am or I’m boarding the hangry train. That said, I rarely allot the time it takes to cook the full breakfast, opting for a morning walk or time to read about fitness and health.
On those days, I need something delicious, filling, healthy and quick, no small order if you like variety in your meals. So to speed things up, I have an array of healthy foods that can go together well on hand, and then I find ways to add tothem in new combinations. One of my favorite recently has been a Chia Eggplant Omelette, which sounds really weird but tastes savory af. I didn’t have eggplant on hand this morning, so I turned to my old friend oatmeal.
I used to have oatmeal every morning, but decided I needed more plants in my diet and stopped eating it regularly.
Today I decided to bring it back into the fold and make an effort add more plants to it. Enter my, “Greens and Bananas Oatmeal Breakfast”. You can adjust almost every ingredients based on your preferences, but since it’s what I had in my kitchen, I used almonds, Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood powder, carrots and bananas. Give the recipe below a spin and let me know what you think in the comments!
What You Will Need
- 1/4 cup Oatmeal (I prefer a mixed oatmeal like Manna Mills Organic 5-grain cereal with flax seed. Sadly they’ve closed down so this is my last batch)
- 1 Banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or preferred milk)
- 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Greens Superfood
- 1 Tbsp chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup puréed carrots
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup optional
How to Make Plant-based Banana Oatmeal
- Mix oatmeal and milk in a pot and heat as instructed until half way done.
- On medium heat add in all other ingredients except almonds, stir and cover.
- Cook another 4-5 minutes, pour into a bowl and voila!
I highly recommend immediately soaking pot in soap water, oatmeal is adhesive.